August 16, 2018

Rest in peace my beloved Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin...

I was so happy to see the great Aretha Franklin 3 years ago live at the Oakland Coliseum. Tonight I opened my little jazz set with the Barbary Jazz Quartet at the Comstock Saloon in North Beach district of San Francisco with a sexy jazz version of "Chain of Fools", in honor of my beloved Aretha Franklin, who passed away earlier this morning.
God Rest her precious soul. The lady gave me strength during some of my darkest days. 
She is the reason why they call me "Mama Tré" 
when I be singing the soul songs I do. 

It's because of her heart and SOUL that somehow bonded with mine. I am soft and heartfelt in my songs and also have a powerful big voice when I want to open the love from my heart.  I have a great capacity for giving and receiving love. This is why I must express myself creatively in the world. I once used all four of my vocal octaves when I was singing full time. I don't much anymore. I'm pretty rusty right now, but working on them. 

I am listening to her right now and honoring her amazing contribution to the world of real soul music. I LOVE YOU QUEEN OF SOUL. My personal favorite live performance, as a professional vocalist that I love the most, was when she was asked to fill in for Pavarotti last minute, when he was ill. 

CHECK THIS OUT:


and my other favorite:
 May I one day shine as bright as even the shadow of you.

No comments: