March 3, 2010

Be it ever so illusive, there is no place like it.

My computer is back in the shop and I’m on a loner the housemates have loaned me until my exit, which is next week.  I’m still in search of, we all seem to continue to search for…. HOME.  Be it ever so illusive, there is NO PLACE like it. The job market here in the south bay area has dried up. Silicon Valley feels like it did back in 2001 when the dot com crash occurred, it’s time to go back to Oakland, back to where my stuff is still in storage. I have been paying $150.00 a month for two years. Living out of a suitcase, renting rooms isn’t easy when you have two kitties in tow. Sometimes I know they are the only thing keeping me from living in my car.

I’ve been pricing RV”s lately, interviewing artist friends and professionals who are self employed who successfully live in them and travel all over the country. Lusting after this ‘Jayco Seneca ZX Motor Home Class C - Toy hauler’ – An upscale RV with a garage is giving me ideas of becoming a vagabond gypsy for the last half of my life, living in some sort of artistic fashion. Toting my own ‘Green Room’ to my gigs, having a cozy place to stay is appealing. Home is not always where your stuff is, it's where your Whoo Whoo is.  :  )

The thought of buying a home that was built for someone else that is too close to other houses on some kind of grid is not appealing to me.  When I do decide to drop an anchor, it will be on some open land with lots of trees and sunshine.  Where I can build a creative mansion out of shipping containers on high ground and get completely off the grid.  The idea of working for 6 months and taking 6 months off is exciting. That is why I like doing contract work, but I am looking at how I can be successfully self employed working from my computer at home.

So it’s back to San Francisco for a high paying corporate contract gig, renting a room with a friend, saving every penny I can, paying back friends who have helped me and seeking some creative financing to start my rolling condo adventure, the payments on it will be my mortgage. Be it ever so illusive, there is no place like it where ever it may be.

No comments: