July 2, 2011

Solving the Mid-life Crisis - A Silly RTW Pilgrimage

Yesterday I took Nellie the Scooter Dog and a pitcher of wine coolers to the beach, it was a gloriously sunny day here in Pacifica so we soaked up some rays and watched beautiful surfer boys do amazing stunts in wet suits – always a pleasure.

I have been feeling depressed and rather whore-moany lately, contemplating my life direction as I begin to look at going back to a day job.  This time off has really been about deciding how I want to live the last half of my life.  How and where I want to live and where my heart is about it all.

On my way back from the big Seattle Artcar Blowout this year I was smitten with Mt. Shasta, Lake Shastina and fell in love with the small town of Weed, CA.  I could totally see myself flopping down a cool shipping container house/industrial art studio on some small piece of land and have a get-a-way off the grid remote retirement homestead there.  I call the San Francisco bay area my home and Pacifica, CA is very close to my heart, but the open road is calling to me to spread my wings.  Here is a Squirly Whirly Road report I made coming home near Mt. Shasta:



The goal is to be self employed and work from home or continue doing high paid contract work for 6 months out of the year and take 6 months off to spread random acts of silliness and fun around the globe changing the emotional states of millions.

As I was cruising in the Squirly Whirly back home from the state of Washington, through Oregon back to California, I saw many RV’s that were towing a car.   This got me thinking about what it would be like staying in an RV for long periods of time.  I have been working on building plans for a stealth 24 ft. box van studio work/live apartment, but the thought of a complete non-stealth ridiculously funny comfy already pre-made recreational vehicle sounds almost irresistible. 

My idea is something huge and hilariously epic barreling down the road on a RTW (Round the World) pilgrimage - A New Artcar Project, one that I can travel comfortably in with a couple of goofy friends who want to join me off and on for 6 months of adventures in sharing music, art & debauchery.  Live roadshow webcasts, make new cool friends all across the world and write all about the experience.... That is something to get excited about!  Sell my wares, do some gigs go to lots of concerts and do art shows all along the way.

Working at day job seems a whole lot more juicy now!!!!!

Anyone wanna get off their Hamster wheel and come out and play?

1 comment:

Carmi said...

Since my surgery back in March, I too have found myself in a position where I need to reinvent myself as I cannot return to my old line of work. I have looked at the options that of course make the most since, but I long for something more, something much different from the "hamster wheel" I have been running on for the last 30 years. Your ideas sound very similar to the ones I have. Trying to talk Pete into becoming RV gypsy's and finding a way to make money while doing what we love. I wish you much luck in your dream and perhaps Pete and I could cruise with you sometime.